janusvielle

The Blair Book Project

Hello! I'm Janus. I am a 3D Graphics Artist by profession, and a proud Book Addict - i mean Enthusiast, and Blogger. I'm very much into Young Adult and Fantasy genre but I open myself to reading other genres from time to time. I run a blog launched as The Blair Book Project on Blogger, where I post entries such as my book reviews and other book related articles. I obviously got the name of this blog for the movie "The Blair Witch Project," why the name you may ask? I have no idea! I just thought it had a good ring to it. Ha! Ha! I post reviews twice a week and I regularly participate in book memes and features that readers and blogger all over the globe share their book interests (i.e. In My Malibox, Top Ten Tuesdays, etc). I have 230 GFC Followers. My blog has over 37,000 pageviews history and have roughly 200 page views per day. I have written over 267 reviews since my span of blogging. I am also an avid Instagram user, with over 350 followers, where I post pictures mostly of books I'm currently reading, books I got for review, galleys, purchased from bookstores, etc. (Statistics as of March 2013). My book reviews are not exactly "reviews" in a sense because I simply just type down what I feel about the book. What I write is solely my opinion and should not be taken as a definite basis of how the book is to be judged entirely. We all have different likes and dislikes so please do understand that although I'm very optimistic about the books I read, there will be negative comments towards those that I don't find suiting for my taste. BLOG URL: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/ GOODREADS ACCOUNT: http://goodreads.com/janusvielle AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AFAGLA0UYBOMH?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_56 INSTAGRAM: @janusvielle

Uncommon Criminals
Ally Carter
Dance of Shadows
Yelena Black
Ink
Amanda Sun
The Art of the Last of Us - Rachel Edidin, Neil Druckmann, Bruce Staley

The Last of Us has been the talk of the gaming world ever since the news came out of its upcoming release. In spite of the delay, players who have played and/or finished the game have then since raved about it.

Other than trying out the demo version, I haven’t played The Last of Us video game yet. I know. How dare I, right? In my defense, I am working in a company that involves game designing. Contrary to what other people think, being in the gaming industry (or in my case – game-ish), you don’t get to play video games all day. In fact, you even end up rarely playing or not playing at all. Unless you’re a reviewer, critic or tester, then that’s beside the point.

Since I mentioned about my job, research and inspiration comes with the territory. When I stumbled upon an advance copy of The Art of The Last of Us on Netgalley... This is the part where we say the rest is history, but I need to elaborate.  I was thrilled to be granted access to view this before it got published. Oh, the joy of flipping through this book!

Not only is it fascinating to see a glimpse of the story (thank you for the not-so-much-spoiler-ish way of detailing the course of the story, by the way) and how the game came about, seeing how each character’s defining growth and creation was something I genuinely appreciated. I love that several intricate details were given out to attest to fans and readers.

I’m not much of a freehand artist, but I was grovelling over the concept art of the environment the artists and designers of this game created through the course of Joel and Ellie’s journey.

It’s always definite for me to know the history behind something I am interested in.  This book was not only inspiring for an artist/designer; it also enthrals the curious reader in me.

After reading The Art of The Last of Us, and in spite of being a wimp and being jumpy over horror/suspense games, books and/or movies, I’m anticipating my chance to play the video game. There is a lot said there coming from someone who ruined her brother’s controller by “accidentally” dropping and throwing it countless times while playing Resident Evil every time a zombie or whatever infested creature jumps out (PS1 days).  That person was not me. I swear.

Okay, I’m lying. It was me.

*Thank you, Diamond Book Distributors, Naughty Dog Studios, Dark Horse Comics and NetGalley for the copy of The Art of the Last of Us.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com

Source: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-art-of-last-of-us-by-rachel-edidin.html