janusvielle

The Blair Book Project

Hello! I'm Janus. I am a 3D Graphics Artist by profession, and a proud Book Addict - i mean Enthusiast, and Blogger. I'm very much into Young Adult and Fantasy genre but I open myself to reading other genres from time to time. I run a blog launched as The Blair Book Project on Blogger, where I post entries such as my book reviews and other book related articles. I obviously got the name of this blog for the movie "The Blair Witch Project," why the name you may ask? I have no idea! I just thought it had a good ring to it. Ha! Ha! I post reviews twice a week and I regularly participate in book memes and features that readers and blogger all over the globe share their book interests (i.e. In My Malibox, Top Ten Tuesdays, etc). I have 230 GFC Followers. My blog has over 37,000 pageviews history and have roughly 200 page views per day. I have written over 267 reviews since my span of blogging. I am also an avid Instagram user, with over 350 followers, where I post pictures mostly of books I'm currently reading, books I got for review, galleys, purchased from bookstores, etc. (Statistics as of March 2013). My book reviews are not exactly "reviews" in a sense because I simply just type down what I feel about the book. What I write is solely my opinion and should not be taken as a definite basis of how the book is to be judged entirely. We all have different likes and dislikes so please do understand that although I'm very optimistic about the books I read, there will be negative comments towards those that I don't find suiting for my taste. BLOG URL: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/ GOODREADS ACCOUNT: http://goodreads.com/janusvielle AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AFAGLA0UYBOMH?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_56 INSTAGRAM: @janusvielle

Uncommon Criminals
Ally Carter
Dance of Shadows
Yelena Black
Ink
Amanda Sun
Mortal Danger - Ann Aguirre
“Game on.”

I’ve come to love Ann Aguirre’s storytelling and writing style through the Razorland trilogy. I loved the character building she has done with Deuce and Fade, and her world building skills were vivid and captivating. That was enough to convince me to watch out for her next books, and that is how I came to read Mortal Danger.

Mortal Danger is a paranormal romance mixing in the creepy urban legends that we might have heard at some extent, like Father Frost, Bloody Mary, etc.

I made a mistake of reading this book in the middle of the night. I didn’t know there was an upcoming “Bloody Mary” scene, so it’s no surprise I had to stop reading after that part. It wasn’t that big of a deal, but I easily scare so I had to find some random funny comic strip online just to get it off my mind. Damn! These things really should come with a warning!

While I don’t mind cliché’s in books since some authors can actually pull it off and lead it to be something a reader can appreciate and indulge in, this one was a miss. The instant romance between the protagonists, Kian and Edie, was not convincing. The villains, the plot, and all the drama weren’t any better either. I felt like everything was too strained. It also felt like I was being forced to like Edie with all that was happening in her life.

Mortal Danger is definitely not a Razorland-kind of story. I truly do love Ann Aguirre’s writing, and the amount of research this story went through was impeccable, but alas, story and character wise, it didn’t impress me.

It was obviously interesting given that I stuck through the entire book, but it just didn’t have the kind of spark I’m looking for in a book. I didn’t take the story at heart.

*Thank you Macmillam, Feiwel & Friend, and NetGalley for granting my request to view Mortal Danger.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com