janusvielle

The Blair Book Project

Hello! I'm Janus. I am a 3D Graphics Artist by profession, and a proud Book Addict - i mean Enthusiast, and Blogger. I'm very much into Young Adult and Fantasy genre but I open myself to reading other genres from time to time. I run a blog launched as The Blair Book Project on Blogger, where I post entries such as my book reviews and other book related articles. I obviously got the name of this blog for the movie "The Blair Witch Project," why the name you may ask? I have no idea! I just thought it had a good ring to it. Ha! Ha! I post reviews twice a week and I regularly participate in book memes and features that readers and blogger all over the globe share their book interests (i.e. In My Malibox, Top Ten Tuesdays, etc). I have 230 GFC Followers. My blog has over 37,000 pageviews history and have roughly 200 page views per day. I have written over 267 reviews since my span of blogging. I am also an avid Instagram user, with over 350 followers, where I post pictures mostly of books I'm currently reading, books I got for review, galleys, purchased from bookstores, etc. (Statistics as of March 2013). My book reviews are not exactly "reviews" in a sense because I simply just type down what I feel about the book. What I write is solely my opinion and should not be taken as a definite basis of how the book is to be judged entirely. We all have different likes and dislikes so please do understand that although I'm very optimistic about the books I read, there will be negative comments towards those that I don't find suiting for my taste. BLOG URL: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/ GOODREADS ACCOUNT: http://goodreads.com/janusvielle AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AFAGLA0UYBOMH?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_56 INSTAGRAM: @janusvielle

Uncommon Criminals
Ally Carter
Dance of Shadows
Yelena Black
Ink
Amanda Sun
Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz - Joe Brusha

Have I ever mentioned how much I love retellings? If you’ve read some of my blog entries about other books I’ve read, I may have mentioned it a few times... okay maybe more than a few. And you may be already annoyed. Sorry. Let’s move on...

While I may not be much of an Oz fan, I didn’t pass up the chance to read Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz. I’ve read a few Grimm Fairy Tales since this one, and I really liked most of them. So it is with deep regret that I felt differently for Oz. I still love the art and creativity that went to every aspect to create this story, not to mention a fascinating darker version of the classic, but this just didn’t do it for me.

Oz had an interesting set of characters much like the original, there’s Dorothy, Toto, Glinda the Good Witch, the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man, and the Scarecrow, and most of all, who could forget, the Wicked Witch. They are all looking stunning, albeit little scantily clothed females, appearing all gallant and significant, some even have pasts too dark to revisit, and I was just dying to know more about each one. Alas, it was a disappointment. The flashbacks were rather shallow and didn’t dig deep enough to trigger an empathizing bone in my body – I’m a bleeding heart, so I should have been one of the easiest people to appease on that department.

I’m no prude but earlier on, I mentioned that the female characters were scantily clothed. Let me divulge on that a bit. I work in the art industry as a 3D artist, and part of being in this industry is looking at pictures of naked bodies, artistically studying the human body to get the right contours, curves, shape – you get the idea. Also, looking at the artworks of other artists, video game characters, and the like, there would not be a day that passes by where I wouldn’t see pictures females wearing less than appropriate clothing, and I wouldn’t even bat an eyelash. However with the characters in this book, I couldn’t stifle a cringe. It was too much and rather ridiculous to look at. At least with the other stories, like Robin Hood, her clothes had function to it even if it were sexy. Dorothy’s were simply trashy. If she was outfitted in clothing with more sense to it, I wouldn’t mind at all.

The main plot of Oz didn’t fare any better either. While the concept of going off to “find the wizard” was still there, it didn’t appear as adventurous as I was hoping. Oz did not come short on action scenes though, but that too wasn’t enough to invigorate my needs and wants as a reader.

*Thank you, Zenescope and Netgalley for granting my request to view Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com

Source: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/2014/06/grimm-fairy-tales-oz-by-joe-brusha-arc.html