janusvielle

The Blair Book Project

Hello! I'm Janus. I am a 3D Graphics Artist by profession, and a proud Book Addict - i mean Enthusiast, and Blogger. I'm very much into Young Adult and Fantasy genre but I open myself to reading other genres from time to time. I run a blog launched as The Blair Book Project on Blogger, where I post entries such as my book reviews and other book related articles. I obviously got the name of this blog for the movie "The Blair Witch Project," why the name you may ask? I have no idea! I just thought it had a good ring to it. Ha! Ha! I post reviews twice a week and I regularly participate in book memes and features that readers and blogger all over the globe share their book interests (i.e. In My Malibox, Top Ten Tuesdays, etc). I have 230 GFC Followers. My blog has over 37,000 pageviews history and have roughly 200 page views per day. I have written over 267 reviews since my span of blogging. I am also an avid Instagram user, with over 350 followers, where I post pictures mostly of books I'm currently reading, books I got for review, galleys, purchased from bookstores, etc. (Statistics as of March 2013). My book reviews are not exactly "reviews" in a sense because I simply just type down what I feel about the book. What I write is solely my opinion and should not be taken as a definite basis of how the book is to be judged entirely. We all have different likes and dislikes so please do understand that although I'm very optimistic about the books I read, there will be negative comments towards those that I don't find suiting for my taste. BLOG URL: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/ GOODREADS ACCOUNT: http://goodreads.com/janusvielle AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AFAGLA0UYBOMH?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_56 INSTAGRAM: @janusvielle

Uncommon Criminals
Ally Carter
Dance of Shadows
Yelena Black
Ink
Amanda Sun
Killer Frost  - Jennifer Estep

“Self-sacrifice is a very powerful thing, especially if you do it of your own free will.”

After reading Killer Frost, there are a few things I feel like I’m seeing with fresh new eyes about the previous books. I realized I haven’t been as open-minded as I thought I was about Jennifer Estep’s writing style. I’ve been constantly complaining over how she keeps repeating facts from the previous books that I already read about over and over again every time I read one book and then the other. What I didn’t realize is if I looked at this book without the reminders of what happened previously, I wouldn’t understand what was going on at all. Also, since I’ve experienced reading books from other authors who don’t provide even a smidge of flashbacks or backstories, it was a struggle to remember what happened beforehand. So yeah, I appreciate the efforts Ms. Estep has done. Even if you haven’t read the other books from this series, reading Killer Frost alone would not make you feel lost.

I also realized I’ve been judging this series in an I’m-way-to-old-for-these-kinds-of-books sort of approach. I felt too superior about them that I didn’t look at them as light, quick reads that would tear me away from my grungy, dark novels. I should have appreciated the break from the norm.

In spite of all my grievances, I now just realized how emotionally attached I have become with Gwen and the other characters. I felt sad that this would be the last time I’ll ever get to read about them. But I’m also happy to find this kind of resolution provided for them, it is about time Gwen gets a break from the Reapers.

I may have voiced out the flaws I see and all, but I have to admit that time and time again, Mythos Academy books never fail to get me hooked. And well, Killer Frost surely gave the Mythos Academy series one epic ending; lots of action and excitement – a finale worth the wait.

*Thank you, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the copy of Killer Frost.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com

Source: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/2014/02/killer-frost-by-jennifer-estep-arc.html