janusvielle

The Blair Book Project

Hello! I'm Janus. I am a 3D Graphics Artist by profession, and a proud Book Addict - i mean Enthusiast, and Blogger. I'm very much into Young Adult and Fantasy genre but I open myself to reading other genres from time to time. I run a blog launched as The Blair Book Project on Blogger, where I post entries such as my book reviews and other book related articles. I obviously got the name of this blog for the movie "The Blair Witch Project," why the name you may ask? I have no idea! I just thought it had a good ring to it. Ha! Ha! I post reviews twice a week and I regularly participate in book memes and features that readers and blogger all over the globe share their book interests (i.e. In My Malibox, Top Ten Tuesdays, etc). I have 230 GFC Followers. My blog has over 37,000 pageviews history and have roughly 200 page views per day. I have written over 267 reviews since my span of blogging. I am also an avid Instagram user, with over 350 followers, where I post pictures mostly of books I'm currently reading, books I got for review, galleys, purchased from bookstores, etc. (Statistics as of March 2013). My book reviews are not exactly "reviews" in a sense because I simply just type down what I feel about the book. What I write is solely my opinion and should not be taken as a definite basis of how the book is to be judged entirely. We all have different likes and dislikes so please do understand that although I'm very optimistic about the books I read, there will be negative comments towards those that I don't find suiting for my taste. BLOG URL: http://theblairbookproject.blogspot.com/ GOODREADS ACCOUNT: http://goodreads.com/janusvielle AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AFAGLA0UYBOMH?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_56 INSTAGRAM: @janusvielle

Uncommon Criminals
Ally Carter
Dance of Shadows
Yelena Black
Ink
Amanda Sun
The Girl in the Steel Corset - Kady Cross “I like a little fight in my girls."
She grinned at him, causing blood to dribble down her chin.
"Then you're going to love me.”

Finley Jayne is like no other girl. She may look like a normal girl but when danger lurks and there seems to be threats about, Finley’s “other self” becomes unleashed. That sort of alter-ego persona reminds me of Jessica from the TV series Heroes. It’s very entertaining to watch Finley’s switch between personalities, although it does cost her much whenever she tries to live a normal life. This part of herself has made her self-conscious and scared, making her feel that distancing herself would be much safer for her and for the people around her.

My copy of The Girl in the Steel Corset includes the short story The Strange Case of Finley Jayne. Reading through the latter was great considering I got to see Finley’s life before she met Griffin and his company. Although it did leave me puzzled once I started The Girl in the Steel Corset. Why didn’t the events of The Strange Case of Finley Jayne have a reflection to The Girl in the Steel Corset? Surely the good deeds she has done before would have given her more confidence in her “gift”, right? It’s like it never really happened. But since I was curious about Finley’s other story, I had to let that go and think of The Girl in the Steel Corset apart.

My experience with reading this book was very pleasant. I truly embraced the Steampunk genre in a way I never had with the other books I have read from the same category. The characters were also a splendid surprise since I was only inquisitive over Finley’s story, and yet I was introduced to an even more interesting set of people who are not only as peculiar as Finley, but have intriguing stories to tell of themselves as well. I just had to drink it all up!

I’m a little distressed to say that it wasn’t all that amazing for me. As with any book, I have my share of displeasures. Trust historical fictions to be more of mystery unraveling and crime investigations rather than having sure-fire action scenes [which I had been expectant over, considering Finley’s character]. As much as I enjoyed seeing Finley work on her dual-personality, the “pondering over things” tactic going on with our characters was a too lengthy for my taste. Somehow the excitement had fizzled out when I finally got to the climax. This has been my problem with a lot of mystery books. I tend to lose patience with the waiting and I feel like the final battle was too brief and abrupt to be of a relief.

Nevertheless, The Girl in the Steel Corset made a commendable first book for a series. It gives readers enough room to sink into Finley’s world. With witty characters, a flamboyant setting and an admirable writing style, Kady Cross has definitely gotten me eager to read the entire Steampunk Chronicles!

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com